Have you ever wondered about how you could make a difference in keeping our Gulf of Mexico waters clean, safe and protected? Well, this is the blog post for you. Saturday, May 16 is this year’s Hands Across the Sand event, which happens globally as well as locally here in Indian Rocks Beach. This is your chance to come join Plumlee Realty and the Indian Rocks Beach community as we take a symbolic stand in the sand against dirty fuels and in support of cleaner, greener energy. We are sending a loud and clear message of no offshore drilling in Indian Rocks Beach, as other locations around the world do the same. Please join us!
We’ll be gathering for the Hands Across the Sand Indian Rocks Beach event on the beach in IRB between 17th and 18th Avenue around 11:30a.m., so come and find your spot in the sand. The event officially kicks off at high noon when we join hands for 15 minutes in solidarity as we draw our line in the sand, both literally and figuratively.
Interested in learning more about Hands Across the Sand in Indian Rocks Beach and beyond? Read on!
History Lesson: Offshore Drilling in the Gulf of Mexico
Did you know that it’s been 5 years since the tragic BP oil spill in the Gulf? Who could forget the images of innocent marine life saturated and suffering in crude oil? The BP oil spill was the largest in U.S. history, pumping and dumping more than 200 million gallons of crude oil into the Gulf of Mexico for 87 days. The collateral damage was immense including the death of over 8,000 marine birds, turtles and mammals (many of which were already on the endangered list) during the first 6 months after the spill.
Want to read more facts about the BP oil spill and its aftermath? Click here.
Saying Yes to Clean, Green, Renewable Energy
Are you interested in learning more about these clean energy alternatives? Read this.
Hands Across the Sand Indian Rocks Beach Event Day Tips
- Hands Across the Sand starts at noon, but it’s best to arrive earlier to find a spot and allow time to work out the logistics of our line in the sand. Bring your friends, bring your family! We want to increase the length of our line in the sand each and every year, and this year is no different!
- You may encounter people who don’t share your view on this hot topic. Remember to be courteous and respectful no matter which side of the issue you’re on.
- Please be mindful of bird and sea turtle nests and steer clear of them. (Remember, it’s sea turtle nesting season here on the Florida’s Gulf Coast.)
- Be respectful of the local Gulf Coast flora and fauna.
- Leave nothing behind but footprints.
We look forward to seeing you on the sand this Saturday, May 16 at noon. Check out the Hands Across the Sand Indian Rocks Beach Facebook page for more event information and the latest updates. Leave a comment on our page and let us know if you’ll be at the event. We’d love to hear from you. Don’t forget to share it, too!