With over 1,000 miles of coastline, Florida is one of the most popular destinations for a beach getaway. But, Florida beaches also offer an oasis for anglers. The Gulf Coast is a premier fishing destination that attracts fishing lovers from all over the country. But, you don’t have to pay for expensive charters to enjoy our waters; pier and surf fishing in Florida is free and accessible for everyone! You can fish for redfish, trout, mackerel, kingfish, and cobia from the beautiful beaches. Here are a few of our favorite surf and pier fishing spots in Pinellas County.
Where to Fish Indian Rocks Beach & Indian Shores
One of the best things about Florida Gulf Coast fishing is that you can fish from almost anywhere. Surf fishing in Florida allows you to throw your line from the beach and catch various fish species. Surrounded by the Gulf of Mexico and the Intracoastal Waterway, there are endless places to fish around IRB and Indian Shores. And Plumlee Gulf Beach Realty offers Gulf Front condos where you can fish on the beach just steps from your rental property!
Pier fishing is a popular way to experience inshore fishing on the Gulf Coast. Some of the most well-known Florida fishing piers can be found a short drive away from IRB.
● Pier 60 Fishing Pier: A 1,080-foot pier on Clearwater Beach known for reeling in trophy snook!
● Skyway Fishing Pier: Cast your line off the world’s longest fishing pier in St. Petersburg. Park your car on the bridge and fish all day long for snook, Spanish mackerel, pompano, and more!
● Fort De Soto Park: Two piers are available here, one on the bayside and the other on the Gulf front.
Before starting your day fishing, make sure you have a Florida fishing license. You can buy one online or stop at Indian Rocks Tackle instead. This IRB tackle shop has any additional gear you might need before fishing on the coast. Here are a few things you need to know for your Florida fishing trip:
● Spinning rods are the best option for pier and surf fishing. Surf fishing requires a longer rod, preferably over ten feet.
● If you plan to go surf fishing in Florida, you should purchase a rod holder to keep your fishing rod in place.
● Live bait is the best option; wait till you arrive to purchase your bait.
● We recommend bringing a cast net, cooler, bucket, beach chairs, umbrellas, snacks, and sunscreen for a successful and comfortable day on the beach!
Want to learn more about fishing on the Florida Gulf Coast? Learn more about our local fishing by reading this fishing blog.
Everyone can enjoy pier and surf fishing in Florida! Whether you are a couple or a large family, Plumlee Gulf Beach Realty has rental properties to accommodate your needs. We recommend our Sand Castle Condos for anglers since these properties offer direct access to the beach and surf fishing. Start planning your epic fishing vacation on the Florida Gulf Coast today!