10 Things You Should Know About Pier 60 on Clearwater Beach
*UPDATED JULY 2018
You know we are partial to an Indian Rocks Beach and Indian Shores stay while you're on the Gulf Coast of Florida. With that being said, we also really love the surrounding Gulf Coast area with all it has to offer when it comes to attractions, festivals, and its unique cities and towns that span the the gulf side of the Florida coastline.
Pier 60, located right on Clearwater Beach, is one of those places that you must see during your gulf beach vacation. There's so much to see and do, and a lot of it is absolutely free. The best news of all is that it's a short drive from your Indian Rocks Beach and Indian Shores vacation rental—approximately 10 miles away—so you're always close and convenient to all of the Clearwater Beach and Pier 60 fun.
Here are 10 things you should know about Pier 60, if you don't already!
1. Pier 60 extends 1080 feet into the Gulf of Mexico and is open for both fishing and sightseeing.
It is most definitely worth the stroll down the pier each and every time you're here. Don't forget to bring your camera. The panoramic views from the end of the fishing pier and over the Gulf of Mexico are absolutely spectacular. Even if you're not an angler, it only costs $1 to stroll the pier and see the sights.
2. The pier has a full bait shop that rents and sells fishing gear, bait, snacks and drinks.
Bring the family and make a day of it. The Pier 60 bait shop has you covered, so it's really easy and convenient. Be sure to stay for the Sunset at Pier 60 Daily Festival later that evening (see #4).
3. You don't need a fishing license for the pier.
No hassle, no fuss, no advance preparation. Just come on down to Pier 60 for a day of Florida fishing fun. The pier carries a blanket fishing license, so you don't need one. And, that catch of the day is all yours. Win-win! If you want to know more about fishing on the Gulf Coast of Florida, read this.
4. The Sunset at Pier 60 Daily Festival runs 7 days a week, 365 days a year.Did we mention this is a free festival held every single night, weather permitting? Yes, yes it is. The Sunset at Pier 60 Daily Festival starts two hours before sunset and runs for two hours after sunset. The festival offers live music, entertainers (known as buskers), arts and crafts vendors and plenty of family fun for everyone. Also FYI, Clearwater Beach was named Best Place to Watch a Sunset by USA Today, and Pier 60 is the ideal setting to watch the sun sink into the horizon. That is entertainment in and of itself with a different color show every single night.
5. There's a live beach cam of Clearwater Beach from Pier 60.
6. Parking in Clearwater Beach is easy, if you know where to go.
7. Pier 60 hosts the annual Sugar Sand Festival each April.
The ten-day Sugar Sand Festival celebrates both the sugar sand of Clearwater Beach and its fantastic sunsets. This local and visitor favorite event showcases the most amazing sand sculptures, too. This locally loved event happens every April, so don't miss it. It's sandtastic!
8. The Sunset Cinema at Pier 60 is an outdoor theater offering free family-friendly movies under the stars.
The Pier 60 Sunset Cinema runs seasonally on Friday and Saturday evenings. Check out their Sunset Cinema calendar for what's now playing and upcoming movie showings. Don't forget to bring your beach chair or blanket, then sit back and enjoy the show.
9. The Pier 60 has a park, playground and pavilion that are kid-approved.
Kids love playing in their very own shaded sandbox in Clearwater Beach. Your younger kids can have hours of fun at the Pier 60 playground, while you put your toes in the sand and stare out at the breathtaking views of the Gulf of Mexico.
10. The Pier 60 area is getting better all the time.
Pier 60 just gets better and better. Renovations to the Pier 60 bait house that happened in 2018 include adding new siding to the building, replacing windows, a new roof and an air conditioning unit. Crews also renovated the pavilions by repairing the columns and replacing/repainting the roofs.
"During Hurricane Irma we had some minor damage sustained to the bait house and some of the pier so we decided we need to get some of these things repaired because it's been more than 25 years since any renovations have been done on this," Jason Beisel with the city of Clearwater said.
You can read more about the Pier 60 beach walk, park and more on the Pier 60 Clearwater Beach Facebook page, where you'll also find all of the latest news and events happening on Clearwater Beach and at the pier.
So what are you waiting for? Isn't it time you experience Pier 60 for yourself? Put it on your Florida beach vacation to-do list!
What's your favorite thing about Pier 60 on Clearwater Beach?
We want to know! Our comment section is always open.