You'll Dig the Sand Sculpting Competition on Treasure Island
Posted On Monday, November 09, 2015
Carve out a spot on your calendar for the 7th Annual Sanding Ovations Master Cup Sand Sculpting Competition on Treasure Island, right on the beach behind the Bilmar Beach Resort. This locally loved event is a crowd-pleaser for all ages. This renowned sand sculpting competition and music festival brings tons of fun to the Gulf Coast shores attracting crowds every year for the sandtastic entertainment. There's also a beach front food court, arts and crafts marketplace, and live music as part of this beachfront festival.
Watch as the best sand sculptors from all over the world turn a pile of sand into a piece of intricate artwork, right before your very eyes. Check out all ten of this year's artists, their masterpieces, and where they are traveling from on the Sanding Ovations Master's Cup Facebook page. You'll find all of the latest updates and news on this year's event right here, too.
The 2015 Master Cup Sand Sculpting Competition takes place the weekend before Thanksgiving, November 18-22 on Treasure Island, also known as the Sand Sculpture Capital of Florida. Come and see why!
Oh, it's also another free event on the Gulf Coast. We love that, don't you?
Ready to start making your plans? Here's what you need to know!
8am-5:30pm Sculptors begin work today with the "pound-up," where tons of sand,
combined with water, is molded into forms, which are then removed for
the sculpting. At 7pm, join the sculptors at a meet 'n' greet at the
Cystal Sands Ballroom at the Bilmar Beach Resort, 10650 Gulf Boulevard.
$10 gets you everything: munchies from Sloppy Joe's and beer from Great
Bay Distributors. Treasure Island singer-songwriter Scott Jogwick
performs throughout the evening, featuring his original Sanding Ovations
composition, "The Pound-Up Song." - See more at: http://www.mytreasureisland.com/visitors/sanding_ovations_2014.php#sthash.ekX0Kciy.dpuf
Photo Credit: Sanding Ovations Master Cup Facebook page
7th Annual Master's Cup Sand Sculpting Competition Schedule
- 8am to 5:30pm: Sculptors start working the "pound up" where tons of sand, water and forms are used to set the bases for the sculptures.
- At 7pm the same evening, there's a meet-n-greet with the sculptors. $10 is all you need to get in to enjoy snacks, beer, live music, and socializing.
- 8am to 5:30pm: Sculpting begins
- 8am to 5:30pm: Vendors begin setting up for the event
- 8am to 5:30pm: Sculpting
- 10am to 10pm: Vendors open
- 5 to 10pm: Live music featuring Sarasota Slim (Blues), Bathsalt Zombies (Steampunk Americana) & Pirate Flag Band (Kenny Chesney Tribute)
- 8am to 2pm: Sculpting
- 10am to 10pm: Vendors open
- Noon to 6pm: Live music featuring Voices of Jazz (Jazz & Swing), Green Bench Society (Kids Alternative Rock), Motel Funk (Kids Rock-n-Roll), Smooth D & The Hunks (Dance & Funk)
- 2 to 6pm: People's Choice Award Voting
- 8 to 10pm: Rocket Man Show featuring Russ Anderson as Elton John
- 10pm: Fireworks Show
- 10am to 6pm: Vendors open
- Noon to 2pm: Florida Folk Show
- 2 to 6pm: Live music featuring Ajeva (Funk), Rev Funky D & The New Diggz (Supergroup Jam), Copious Jones (Southern Rock)
Find out more details on the Master's Cup schedule here.
What You Need to Know about Parking & Shuttles
Allied Specialty Insurance, 10451 Gulf Boulevard - $15 (Saturday & Sunday ONLY) Community Center & TI Park, One Park Place @ 104th Avenue and Gulf Boulevard - $15 St. Petersburg Municipal Beach, Gulf Boulevard at 112th Avenue - metered parking Gulf Front Park, 10400 Gulf Boulevard - metered parking - See more at: http://www.mytreasureisland.com/visitors/sanding_ovations_2014.php#sthash.ekX0Kciy.dpufThe good news is that you have plenty of options when it comes to parking.
There's metered parking at both St. Petersburg Municipal Beach (Gulf Blvd & 112th Ave) and at Gulf Front Park (10400 Gulf Blvd). Event parking lots can be found at Allied Specialty Insurance (10451 Gulf Blvd.) for $15 on Saturday and Sunday only. You can also park at the Treasure Island Community Center and Park (Gulf Blvd. & 104th Ave.) for $15.
There's also a shuttle bus for your convenience. You can park right off the Treasure Island Causeway at Treasure Bay (10315 Paradise Blvd) or at Paradise Lutheran Church (10255 Paradise Blvd) and hop a ride straight to the Master's Cup. Shuttles run on Saturday from noon to 11pm and Sunday from noon to 7pm. Park and ride for $5 per vehicle.
And MoreTreasure Island is under a 30-minute drive from your Indian Rocks Beach and Indian Shores vacation rental. Hop in the car and enjoy the scenic coastal drive south.
You'll be amazed as the the sand sculptors bring their creations to life. It makes for a great day trip during your Gulf Coast vacation, so be sure to put it on your vacation itinerary. See you on the sand!
Don't forget to read up on all of the holiday fun happening on the Gulf Coast of Florida. There's lots of it!
Are you making the trip to Treasure Island for the Master's Cup Sand Sculpting Competition? If so, let us know. Hope to see you!