Rainy Day Activities & Things To Do on Florida's Gulf Coast
The sunshine is abundant on our Gulf Coast shores, but if a rainy day happens to come your way—you're in luck! You've picked a vacation destination that offers so much to do both inside and out, no matter the weather forecast. It's actually a great opportunity to get out and about in our Florida Gulf Coast towns and see some of the things you may have been missing while you were busy soaking up the sun on our gorgeous beaches.
Check out some of our favorite rainy day suggestions for fun, family-friendly activities and things to do. These are also great alternatives if you're looking for something new and different. Try one or try them all if you can!
Rainy Day Activities & Thing To Do on the Gulf Coast of Florida
For the Culturally-MindedFlorida's Gulf Coast is rich with local history and a thriving art scene. If museums are right up your alley, then we've got some great places for you to explore.
- Chihuly Collection, St. Petersburg: The permanent collection of world-famous artist Dale Chihuly resides at the Morean Arts Center in a 10,000 square-foot spaced designed specifically to highlight his work. The Collection includes Chihuly’s spectacular large-scale installations such as Ruby Red Icicle Chandelier created specifically for the Collection along with several popular series works including Macchia, Ikebana, Niijima Floats, Persians and Tumbleweeds.
- Dali Museum, St. Petersburg: Home of the largest, private collections of Spanish-born surrealist painter
Salvador Domingo Felipe Jacinto Dali i DomenechSalvador Domingo Felipe Jacinto Dali i Domenech, better known as Salvador Dali, the Dali Museum is a must-see for art lovers. Explore the life and legend of Salvador Dali and his muse, his wife Gala, here.
Salvador Domingo Felipe Jacinto Dali i DomenechSalvador Domingo Felipe Jacinto Dali i Domenech
- Armed Forces Military Museum, Largo: This critically acclaimed and multi-award winning museum is dedicated to preserving and providing education of military history, with a spotlight on the many sacrifices made by others for the freedoms we enjoy today. Here you can experience their battle, honor their sacrifice, relive their history, and salute their heroism—because heroes who don't wear capes are worth the find, as they say.(P.S. You can find a coupon for discounted admission here.)
- Indian Rocks Beach Historical Museum, IRB: Enjoy a walk back in time and immerse yourself in the history of what we know as Indian Rocks Beach and Indian Shores today. Photographs, postcards, maps and artifacts bring the exhibits to life. Learn about the Tiki Gardens, Tocobaga Indians, sea turtles, mystery shipwreck and so much more.
For the Sports LoversHey sports lovers, this is for you. No beach volleyball today? No problem! Check out these options.
- Pinellas Indoor Soccer, Largo: This indoor, air-conditioned soccer facility offers two playing fields, high-grade astro turf and spectator viewing area. The state-of-the-art indoor sports field allows for year-round recreational and competitive play.
- Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg: Home of our home team, the Tampa Bay Rays (since 1998), Tropicana Field is a domed, interactive stadium that hosts Major League baseball play and is a great place to catch a game. Originally the Florida Suncoast Dome and then the Thunderdome, Tropicana Field boasts 1.1-million square feet along with unique design features and fan amenities not found elsewhere in the Major League.
For the Kids & Kids-at-HeartNo worries on what to do with the kids on a rainy day on the Gulf Coast beaches. Nope! Look at all of these fun, indoor options that are sure to please.
- Airheads Trampoline Arena, Largo: Jump away the day here. This facility offers opportunities for unlimited jumping, dedicated dodge ball, group fitness classes, birthday parties and a super huge arcade. This weather-proof destination is a local favorite for family fun and is a great place for the kids to release some pent-up energy.
- Great Explorations Children's Museum, St. Petersburg: Designed for children aged 10 and under, the museum is filled with exhibits and activities that stimulate learning via creativity, play and exploration. The wee ones will love the hands-on fun found here.
- Xtreme Fun Center, Largo: The Fun Center features Florida's largest laser tag facility, indoor batting cages and a large arcade with interactive video, ticket games and a laser maze. Lots of family fun found here. Come get your bragging rights.
For the Animal Lovers
- Florida Aquarium, Downtown Tampa: Another wonderful location for family fun, the Florida Aquarium is ranked in the top 10 of best aquariums in the country by TripAdvisor. Learn more about the sea creatures that call the Gulf Coast home and have fun doing it. There are also outdoor components to this aquarium, but abundant indoor exhibits and things to do to will easily keep you entertained. They're also included in the Tampa Bay CityPASS.
As you can see, there is so much to do on Florida's Gulf Coast no matter what the forecast holds. Take advantage of the rainy days and see some of the best indoor attractions around. You can find out more information about Rainy Day Fun on the Gulf Coast with links to all of our favorite places right here.
What's your favorite way to spend a rainy day on Florida's Gulf Coast?