Local Treasure: IRB Citywide Garage Sale Plus Tips & Tricks
Posted On Monday, November 16, 2015
Attention bargain hunters! After you've stuffed the turkey, and yourself, make plans to head out to find some local treasure at the Indian Rocks Beach Citywide Garage Sale, held bi-annually on the weekend after Thanksgiving (and again in April on the weekend after Easter).
Indian Rocks Beach Citywide Garage SaleSet out on a bargain hunting adventure of your very own. This year, the IRB Citywide Garage Sale is held on Saturday, November 28 and Sunday, November 29. Bring your family, bring your friends! See what local treasures can be found in our local neighborhood. Since the citywide sale is only held twice a year, you can be sure that our residents have been cleaning out, saving up and preparing for this big event.
Contact the City of Indian Rocks Beach or the Indian Rocks Beach Homeowners Association for more event details. - See more at: https://www.plumleegulfbeachrealty.com/post/spring-brings-the-citywide-garage-sale-a-new-community-garden--more-to-indian-rocks-beach/#sthash.ZNzUMnBt.dpufThere is no set time for the sale, but come early for the best selection (just not too early). A lot of things are out and available for you to peruse and purchase by around 7-8a.m. and continue throughout the day. Contact the City of Indian Rocks Beach or the Indian Rocks Beach Homeowners Association for more event details.
In the meantime, read up on these garage sale buying and selling tips!
Garage Sale Tips & Tricks for SellersPreparing for a big sale can seem overwhelming, but it needn't be. Make the most of your sale by trying out these tips and tricks for a successful sale.
- Start early. Prepare as far ahead of time as possible. It always takes longer than you think it will and you'll probably have more items to sell than you thought you would.
- Present well. You don't want to have a jumble of items piled on top of each other. Racks, shelves, bins and tables make it easier for the shopper to peruse what you're selling with little effort. Along these lines, make sure your items are not dusty, dirty or lined with cobwebs. Baby wipes are your friend! They make quick clean up and touch ups a snap.
- Consider your buyer. If you have a lot of clothes, make it convenient for the shopper by providing a mirror if possible. If you are selling electrical items, have an extension cord powered up and ready to go for testing purposes and to show that they are working order. Purses and handbags can be put on a shower rings and hung from a rack, making it much easier for the buyer to browse.
- Group items. Separating items into groups or categories helps with presentation. If a buyer is looking for something in a particular category, you can direct them where they need to look and you are offering other things of similar interest that may increase the sale. It also helps during the pricing process. Instead of having to label each item, you can make one sign for the entire group. Examples such as Books, $X each; CDs, $X each; Shirts, $X each; and so on.
- Offer bulk discounts. If you have a large number of items like books, you can sell them individually as well offer a discount for buying a certain number at once.
- Expect to bargain. Garage sale shoppers are looking for deals. They are expecting to haggle with you a bit. Don't become defensive about it, just be prepared for it and know the value of your items. Be willing to be fair and open to compromise.
- Offer bags and/or boxes for convenience. A lot of shoppers bring their own bags, but it's nice to have them available for your buyers. We all seem to have a large stash of plastic grocery bags taking up space in our house. Here's your chance to get rid of them! Using a large, sealed up box with a hole cut in it (think giant tissue box) makes for a quick bag dispenser and keeps your plastic bags from blowing all over creation. Having some boxes on hand is helpful too for those who are buying a lot of items in bulk.
- Have change. It's best to have a lot of small bills and coins so you're able to make quick change for your buyers. It may cost you a sale if you're not able to give exact change. Don't expect your buyers to always come with small bills, though that would be nice. Be prepared to break $20 bills. Also, keep your money on you if possible, buy using a fanny pack or something similar. If it's not on you, be sure to keep it locked up.
- Be realistic. Yes, you'd like to make some money but in reality you're probably not going to get every single price you're expecting. Price fairly, but be open to negotiate. You want your items to move! Consider second-day discounts, half-price markdowns, and even "free for the taking" bins.
Garage Sale Tips & Tricks for BuyersHere are some things to consider when you're heading out to a garage sale in search of great deals. Come prepared and leave happy!
- Come early, but not too early. Garage sales are known to attract somewhat ambitious early birds. It's fine to want to be there early, but don't be rude and start browsing items if the seller is not ready. Mornings are usually the best times to shop and therefore often the busiest.
- Bring cash. Small bills are
best, as are coins. If the seller is short on change, it may prevent
you from purchasing what you want, for the price you want.
- Make a list. If you know
you're in search of particular items, make a list ahead of time so you
don't get distracted or forget. Garage sales can become all-consuming.
- Price check before you buy. This
is particularly true for big-ticket items. Do some research ahead of
time, so you know what is a fair and reasonable price range. Then let
the haggling begin!
- Don't be afraid to negotiate. It's a garage sale, so negotiation is part of the process. You won't know if you don't ask!
- Bring a bag. Make the transport of your purchases easier by bringing your own tote bag, a sturdy one. It helps during the shopping process, keeps your hands free, and makes it easier to get your purchases to your vehicle. Along the same lines, you may want to bring newspaper or bubble wrap for any fragile items you purchase to keep them safe and intact on the journey home.
- Bundle your purchases and ask for a bulk deal. You'll probably get a better deal if you buy more than one item at sale. See if you can leverage it to your advantage!
Will we see you at the Indian Rocks Beach Citywide Garage Sale the weekend after Thanksgiving?