Family Fun for the Kids (and Kids at Heart) During Your Indian Rocks Beach and Indian Shores Vacation
- Clearwater Marine Aquarium: What's not to love? Dolphins, otters, sea turtles, sharks and more can be seen here. Kids enjoy the hands-on experience of touching a stingray and trying a sea turtle shell on for size. There's a lot to see, do and learn! Don't forget to leave time for a visit with the aquarium's most famous resident, Winter, from the movie Dolphin Tale. The Clearwater Marine Aquarium is only about a 20-minute drive from Indian Rocks Beach and Indian Shores. If you purchase your admission tickets online, you'll receive up to a 25% discount.
- Heritage Village: Give the kids a chance to explore 150 years of Pinellas County history with more than 24 historic structures dating from 1850 through the early 1900s. It's 21 acres of living history set among historic pines and palmettos. There are lots of kid-friendly options and activities for all ages. Heritage Village is located in Largo and is under a 10-minute drive from Indian Rocks Beach and Indian Shores. Admission is free.
- Lowry Park Zoo: Rated The Best Zoo in the U.S. by Parents Magazine, Lowry Park Zoo offers over 1600 animals and over 2000 plant species. See animals in their habitat, interact with animals, enjoy rides, shows and talks, and take a splash in the water play areas. The Lowry Park Zoo is located in Tampa and is about a 45-minute drive from Indian Rocks Beach and Indian Shores. Parking is free of charge and kids under the age of two are admitted for free.
- Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary: Come and visit the largest wild bird hospital and bird sanctuary in the U.S. With the admission of up to 8,000 birds per year, the sanctuary has helped injured wild birds for over 40 years. Their mission is to dedicate their time to the rescue, repair and rehabilitation of injured birds then release them back into nature. There are also display areas for permanently injured birds that are given homes at the sanctuary. There are usually over 600 wild birds for visitors to view at any given time, so it's worth the trip. Bring the family for a tour of the open-air facility and spend some time on the beachfront. The Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary is located on Gulf Boulevard in Indian Shores. Admission is free.
- The Pirate Ship at St. John's Pass: Join in on a fun-filled cruise that runs daily at 11a.m., 2p.m., and at sunset. Kids are fully immersed in the swashbuckling action including water gun battles, treasure hunts, limbo, face painting, pirate stories, free soft drinks and more. Adults can enjoy the great music, dance party, dolphin watching, free beer and wine, and all sorts of buccaneer delights. The Pirate Ship at St. John's Pass is located at Madeira Beach and is a 20-minute drive from Indian Rocks Beach and Indian Shores. Don't miss out, mateys. Argh!
- Busch Gardens Tampa: We've made mention of Busch Gardens Tampa many times in our blog from its shows like Madagascar Live! to its Summer Nights entertainment and fireworks. There are rides for all ages, live animals, entertainment, food, shopping and more. The park is located an hour's drive from Indian Rocks Beach and Indian Shores and makes for a great day trip. Need we say more? It's family fun and adventure at its finest.
We wish we had time and space for more of our favorite family activities on the Gulf Coast, but we'll leave you to explore the above mentioned and allow you to find some more family adventures of your very own. There is so much to do in and around Indian Rocks Beach and Indian Shores that you and your family won't be disappointed. Don't forget about the fishing, parks, mini golf courses, trails, and other indoor and outdoor adventures.
We hope to see you and your family enjoying our beaches and attractions this summer. Happy exploring!