5 of the Most Satisfying Ways to Eat Healthy on Vacation
You want to enjoy your vacation to its fullest, but you also want to maintain a healthy diet and eat right without too much hassle or restriction. So how do you do it? We can help. We've rounded up five of the most satisfying ways to indulge in the local flavor without regret and still eat healthy while on your vacation. Here's a hint: your Gulf Coast vacation rental is a big help!
1. Shop the local beach markets, seafood markets and farmers' markets.Get the freshest local fare to enjoy on the spot or to bring with you back to your vacation rental. Shop local, buy local. It's good for the community and it's good for you! Here's where to find the best Gulf Coast seafood and where to go to explore some of our favorite fresh markets near Indian Rocks Beach and Indian Shores.
2. Choose to "eat clean" whenever possible.Clean eating is a buzzword these days that has different connotations and applications depending on who you talk to on this topic. For simplicity's sake, we're sticking to the simple concept that involves choosing whole foods that are closest to their natural state with little to no processing or added ingredients. It also means being mindful of the food's pathway between its origin and your plate—the shorter, the better. Examples of clean foods include fresh fruit and vegetables, locally caught fresh fish and seafood, unrefined grains, nuts, and farm-fresh eggs to name a few.
3. Indulge but don't over do it.You're on vacation so there's no need to adhere to a strict diet. Relax, unwind and savor the local flavor without going overboard. Opt to sample your favorite splurges instead of eating an entire calorie-laden serving. Or limit yourself to one special treat per day. That way you won't feel too restricted and yet you won't have regrets the next day. Indulging is perfectly fine, overindulging becomes a slippery slope. Control and portion size are key to enjoying your vacation without sacrificing on taste and satisfaction.
4. Choose the right menu items.
Going out to eat while on vacation is a rite of passage. You surely don't need to do it every day (unless you really want to) so you are going to have to be wise about what you order at a restaurant. Peruse the menu for lighter fare options. Choose grilled, broiled and baked over breaded, fried and sauced. Request high-calorie dressings and sauces be served on the side, so you can control the amount. Check out the salads and vegetarian offerings, you may be pleasantly surprised. Try eating half of your meal now and taking the other half back to your vacation rental for lunch the next day. Get your mouthwatering by perusing some of our favorite Indian Rocks Beach restaurants and see what's on the menu! You'll find that healthful options abound.
5. Prepare your own meals and snacks in your vacation rental.
When you plan and prepare your own snacks and meals, you have full control over what you're eating. Take a little time to plan ahead so that you don't get caught hungry, or even worse—hangry—which can leave your vulnerable to making unhealthy food choices and prone to overeating. Be smart and keep a few healthy, portable snacks along with you each day to help keep you satisfied and to help fill in the gaps between your meals.
You have a beautiful vacation rental kitchen with all the tools and appliances you need to make some incredible meals. Go ahead and use it! Stop at a local seafood market and bring home the day's catch simply and easily. Prepare a fresh and colorful salad accompanied by some artisan bread and a nice glass of wine. Or keep it really simple but elegant with a spread of various cheeses, fresh fruits and sliced vegetables, whole grain crackers, and healthy dips for a no-cooking-necessary but absolutely satisfying meal.
So go ahead eat and enjoy yourself; just do it wisely. You'll have the best of both worlds: a fabulous healthy vacation and a happy, satisfied belly. Cheers!
It's pretty easy to stay healthy and fit on an Indian Shores and Indian Rocks Beach vacation. Not only can you eat fresh, local and healthy but there are plenty of chances to burn off your calories with a daily walk on the beach morning, noon and night. Isn't it time you started planning your next Florida vacation on our beautiful Gulf Coast beaches?
How do you eat healthy while on vacation? We'd love to hear it!