Memorial Day is only two weeks away! It’s hard to believe that we’re this far into 2013 already, but we are. Memorial Day is the traditional start of the summer season. It is also a day of remembrance for those that have given their lives in service to our country. With both of those things in mind, here are our top picks for ways to spend your Memorial Day weekend here on the Gulf Coast. We hope to see you!
Top 5 Things To Do on Memorial Day Weekend on Florida’s Gulf Coast:
1. Spend some time on the beaches of Indian Rocks Beach and Indian Shores. Being on the beach is a Memorial Day must. There is nothing like starting the summer season off right in a beautiful place where the sand is soft, the warm water laps at your feet, and the sun warms your skin. Your first step is finding a place to stay where all those things are right outside your door. Whether you prefer a condo on the beach or a vacation rental home with all of the amenities you desire, you’ll find them in Indian Rocks Beach and Indian Shores. With a laid-back barrier island setting and the Gulf of Mexico waters and Intracoastal waters surrounding you, you’ll find a little piece of paradise.
2. Attend the Memorial Day Family FunFest at the Armed Forces Museum in Largo. The annual Memorial Day FunFest is held at the Armed Forces Museum in Largo on Memorial Day, May 27, from 10a.m. to 4p.m. This is a family-friendly event that offers rock wall climbing, a bounce house, power bungee jumping, face painting, military dress up, arts and crafts, and so much more. Don’t miss a one-of-kind opportunity to ride an authentic World War II M8 Greyhound reconnaissance vehicle, too. Hot dogs, drinks and snacks are available for purchase. Ticket prices for the FunFest are $10 for adults and $5 for children ages 4-12.
3. Visit the Sunsets at Pier 60 Festival and the Sunset Cinema in Clearwater. Celebrate the stunning Gulf Coast sunset at this nightly festival that runs seven days a week beginning two hours before sunset and continuing for about two hours after sunset. Live musical entertainment occurs on the weekends. Also enjoy free movies on Friday and Saturday nights at Pier 60 Park. Bring chairs or a blanket and be ready for showtime at dusk. You can find a current schedule of Pier 60 performances and Sunset Cinema movie titles here. You can read more about the Sunsets at Pier 60 Festival and Sunset Cinema here.
4. Enjoy live music on the Gulf of Mexico. Shephard’s Beach Resort in Clearwater has a full lineup of live music on Memorial Day weekend starting on Friday and continuing through Monday. This promises to be an all out celebration. You can find the jam-packed list of performers here with big name live performances by Gods and Generals and Jason Derulo. Don’t miss it!
5. Attend the We Salute You veterans’ tribute and fundraiser in Tarpon Springs. It’s important to take time out on Memorial Day weekend to remember the true meaning behind the holiday. The We Salute You veterans’ event and fundraiser offers a daytime outdoor and evening indoor event. The daytime event does not require a ticket purchase and runs from noon to 4p.m. on Memorial Day, Monday, May 27. The evening event costs $10 and runs from 5-10p.m. You can find the schedule of activities here. Net proceeds from the purchases during this event benefit the Sand Soldiers of America.
Well, these are our suggestions! We hope you can fit as many as you can into your Memorial Day weekend plans.
If you’re here on the Gulf Coast now, don’t forget that the Madagascar Live show premieres at Busch Gardens Tampa this week. Enjoy!